Dental decay is a common problem – but it doesn’t have to be. The good news is, it’s easy to prevent by making just a few simple lifestyle changes.
If you’re ready to schedule your next appointment at Oasis Dental, call us at the location most convenient to you: Vancouver, WA at 360-695-3369 or Ridgefield, WA at 360-727-0335.
In the meantime check out our five simple ways to stop dental decay:
- Brush and Floss Every Day – We’re sure you’re not surprised to see this on the list. These habits are two of the most important things you can do to maintain good oral health. Brush at least twice a day, for at least two full minutes. Use a toothpaste that contains fluoride and a soft-bristled brush. Floss once a day too.
- Don’t Skip Professional Cleanings – No matter how carefully you brush at home, you’re bound to miss some bacteria and plaque. Over time it will harden into tartar, a substance that can only be removed with a professional cleaning. Visit us twice a year for exams and cleanings.
- Add Preventive Treatments – It may also be a good idea to get some preventive treatments, especially if you are cavity prone. Since fluoride strengthens tooth enamel, it makes you less susceptible to decay. Dental sealants help prevent bacteria from getting into the tiny grooves on top of your teeth, where it is hard to brush away.
- Drink Plenty of Water – H2O is a natural cavity fighter. That’s because it rinses away food debris and cavity-causing bacteria. So make sure you drink lots of it. A good goal is to drink half an ounce for every pound of your weight. Rinse your mouth out with water after meals if you won’t be brushing teeth for a while.
- Pick Teeth-Friendly Foods – You likely know to avoid sugary and highly acidic foods, since they are hard on tooth enamel. Fresh fruits and vegetables contain lots of water and fiber, both of which help eliminate bacteria. Cheese and other dairy products contain casein and calcium, substances that strengthen tooth enamel. Foods that are good for your teeth are good for the rest of you too, so you’ll improve your overall health by eating teeth-friendly foods.
Let us help you stop dental decay! Call Oasis Dental in Vancouver, WA at 360-695-3369 or in Ridgefield, WA at 360-727-0335 to make an appointment. You can schedule your visit online.